Housing, Property and Construction


Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB)
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies

The Residential Tenancy Branch (RTB) provides landlords and tenants with information and dispute resolution services, guided by British Columbia's Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act. The RTB provides resources to help individuals know their rights and responsibilities as both landlord and tenant.

See their website for information, forms, tips and policy guidelines.

Not all housing is under the jurisdiction of the RTB, including strata and most roommate issues. See Is My Tenancy Covered Under B.C.’s Tenancy Laws? For a better understanding if your situation is covered.

Email: HSRTO@gov.bc.ca
Telephone: 604-660-1020
Address: 400 - 5021 Kingsway Burnaby, BC V5H 4A5
BC Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT)
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://civilresolutionbc.ca/

The CRT is an independent, quasi-judicial online tribunal that is different from the traditional courtroom model. Offers an accessible, affordable way to resolve many types of civil law disputes, including disputes between roommates and within stratas, without needing a lawyer or attending court.

  • Offers an online dispute resolution process that provides detailed legal information and self-help tools If you can’t resolve your dispute, a tribunal member can make a decision about it. 
  • Members are independent legal experts. Their decisions can be enforced like court orders.
Email: https://civilresolutionbc.ca/contact-us/
Telephone: 1-844-322-2292


Property Assessment Review Panels (PARPs)
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/owning-a-home/property-assessment-review-panels2

A Property Assessment Review Panel or PARP is the first level of appeal for property assessments in British Columbia. 

Ensures that property assessments reflect actual (market) value and are applied consistently within a municipality or rural area

  • Makes decisions regarding evidence presented by the parties to a formal complaint filed with the assessor 
  • Complainants file their complaint with the British Columbia Assessment Authority to have a 30 minute hearing before a Panel
  • Decisions can be appealed to the Property Assessment Appeal Board
Email: parp@gov.bc.ca
Telephone: 250-356-7535
Fax: 250-356-6924
Address: Property Assessment Review Panel Office of the Administrator PO BOX 9361 STN PROV GOVT VICTORIA, BC V8W 9M2
Property Assessment Appeal Board
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www.assessmentappeal.bc.ca/

The second level of appeal for property assessments in BC.

  • Deals with appeals on assessments for all types of properties — everything from single family dwellings to farms to major industry 
  • They will try to assist people to resolve their concerns with BC Property Assessment without the need for a hearing. If no agreement can be reached, they will make a decision as to whether the assessment will be changed
Email: office@paab.bc.ca
Telephone: 604-775-1740
Fax: 604-775-1742
Address: 1270 - 605 Robson Street Vancouver, BC V6B 5J3
Safety Standards Appeal Board
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/organizational-structure/ministries-organizations/boards-commissions-tribunals/safety-standards-appeal-board

The Safety Standards Appeal Board is an adjudicative tribunal created under section 43 of the Safety Standards Act. The Board is independent of any regulating body and hears appeals brought under the Safety Standards Act, the Homeowner Protection Act and the Building Act.

  • Determines if the decisions were fairly made according to the provisions of the legislation 
  • Appeals must be filed with the Board within 30 days of receipt of the decision under appeal
Email: safetystandardsappealboard@gov.bc.ca
Telephone: 778-572-1968
Fax: 250-356-6645
Address: Unit 1270 - 605 Robson Street Vancouver, BC
Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board (CCALAB)
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www.bcccalab.ca/

The Community Care and Assisted Living Appeal Board (CCALAB) is a tribunal created under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act to hear and decide appeals from licensing, registration and certification decisions about community care facilities, assisted living residences and early childhood educators.

The Board’s purpose is to provide a specialized, impartial, accessible and cost-effective forum for the hearing of appeals from licensing, regulation and certification decisions regarding community care and assisted living facilities and early childhood educators.

Email: info@bcccalab.ca
Telephone: 250-387-3464
Fax: 250-356-9923
Address: 4th Floor, 747 Fort Street Victoria, BC V8W 3E9


Building Code Appeal Board
Type: Vancouver Coastal
Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/construction-industry/building-codes-standards/building-code-appeal-board

The Building Code Appeal Board reviews appeals of local authority decisions related to building regulations. You can submit an appeal to the board for review.

  • The Building Code Appeal Board reviews appeals of local authority decisions on whether a matter conforms to a provincial building regulation, including the BC Building and Plumbing Codes. It operates under the Building Act
  • The Board is made up of subject matter experts and operates independently from the government
Email: Building.Safety@gov.bc.ca
Telephone: 250-387-3133
Address: Building and Safety Standards Branch 614 Humboldt Street - 4th Floor Victoria, BC V8W 3A2