Forest Appeals Commission
The Forest Appeals Commission (FAC) was established under the Forest Practices Code of British Columbia Act and continues under the Forest and Range Practices Act. The FAC is an independent tribunal that hears appeals of certain decisions made by government agencies regarding the use and management of forest and range resources.
The FAC hears appeals of decisions and orders issued under the Forest Act, Forest and Range Practices Act, Private Managed Forest Land Act, Range Act, and Wildfire Act. Appeals to the FAC may involve such things as:
- administrative penalties in relation to forest and range practices
- administrative penalties and cost recovery orders in relation to wildfires
- stumpage rates levied on harvested Crown timber
- remediation orders (which correct what went wrong) and stop work orders
- approval, suspension or cancellation of forest stewardship plans, range stewardship plans, range use plans, and woodlot licence plans
- range developments
- control of forest insects or disease
- unauthorized construction or occupation of a building on Crown land in a provincial forest
- unauthorized construction of trail or recreation facilities on Crown land
- exemptions, conditions, and alternative requirements regarding forestry roads and rights of way
- suspension of tenure rights in relation to Crown forest and range resources
- administrative penalties and exit fees in relation to private managed forest land
Each Act that provides for appeals to the FAC also specifies who is eligible to appeal a decision to the FAC.
Justice Education Society Resources
Before you appeal to the tribunal, have you tried to work out your situation by other methods? The tribunal process can take a lot of time and may not result in the decision you expected. Use this Early Dispute Resolution checklist to find out if you have tried all avenues available to you. The following videos and PDFs will also help you.
Preparing for a Hearing
To help you prepare your appeal, you may find it helpful to use this Tribunal Hearing Preparation checklist, and to take a look at the following videos and PDFs. These are for general information purposes. Before you start an appeal, see the Forest Appeals Commission’s Appeal Process for specific information.