Farm Industry Review Board
The BC Farm Industry Review Board (BCFIRB) provides general supervision of BC’s marketing boards and commissions through rules, regulations and policy direction; hears appeals from decisions under the Natural Products Marketing (BC) Act, Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and the Agricultural Produce Grading Act, and hears complaints and conducts studies under the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act.
BCFIRB is responsible for:
- General supervision of agricultural commodity boards
- Being a signatory to formal federal-provincial cooperation agreements in regulated marketing
- Hearing appeals of agricultural commodity board decisions
- Hearing appeals of Minister of Agriculture decisions to refuse, suspend, revoke or not renew agricultural produce grading licenses
- Hearing appeals related to BCSPCA animal custody decisions
- Hearing farm practices complaints from persons disturbed by odour, noise, dust or other disturbances arising from agriculture or certain aquaculture operations
- Conducting farm practices studies
Where it is suitable, BCFIRB promotes early dispute resolution through mediation, facilitation or other processes. BCFIRB decisions are final and conclusive but may be judicially reviewed by the Supreme Court of BC.
Justice Education Society Resources
Before you file an appeal or complaint with the board, have you tried to find a cooperative solution? Use this Early Dispute Resolution checklist to consider other ways of coming to an agreement before entering into the legal appeal process. You may find the following videos and PDFs helpful.
Preparing for a Hearing
If you have decided to move forward with the tribunal process, use this Tribunal Hearing Preparation checklist to help you get ready. You may also like to take a look at these videos and PDFs for more about how to prepare your case.